Is there anything sadder than a soggy sweet potato fry? I can tell you, being the not-so-proud owner of a craptastic oven, I am no stranger to the sadness. Since my profession for the past few years has put me in a wide variety of kitchens, I’ve gotten to see first hand the difference a quality oven can make. Let me tell ya, it’s a huge difference.
But let’s not “accidentally break” our sub-par ovens just yet, for there is a cheaper way to get crispy sweet potato fries (and roasted veggies, too!) All you need is a little extra starch, a zip top bag, and parchment paper.
I like to add some chipotle powder, because I love the sweet / salty / smoky / spicy combination. You can season them with whatever seasonings speak to you. If you’re looking for some tasty blends, Primal Palate spices are second to none!
Sweet potatoes go into the bag with arrowroot starch and chipotle powder.
Close up the bag and shake and voila! Each fry is coated with a light dusting of starch; just enough to give them that perfect crisp. Do the same with the oil and each fry will be coated with that, too.
Arrange in a single layer on a lightly oiled parchment baking sheet with plenty of room around them. Give ’em a nice shower of salt and in the oven they go!
16-18 minutes later, you have super crispy sweet potato fries that are perfectly cooked in the center. Huzzah!
Super Crispy Sweet Potato Oven Fries
prep time: 10 minutes | cook time: 16-18 minutes | yield: 4 servings
2 pounds sweet potatoes (3-4 sweet potatoes, any variety or a combination)
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon chipotle powder (for spicy fries, optional)
1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons avocado oil or light olive oil or melted animal fat such as lard, tallow or duck fat
salt (if using a seasoning blend that includes salt, taste the fries before salting)
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and brush each with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch fries.
- Toss in a zip top bag and add the arrowroot starch and chipotle or preferred seasoning. Close the bag and shake until the fries are all coated.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the oil and close and shake the bag again.
- Arrange the fries amongst the 2 baking sheets in a single later, giving them as much room around them as possible. Sprinkle with salt, unless your seasoning blend already has it.
- Pop in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes, until browned on the bottoms. Remove the pans, flip the fries and return to the oven, switching the location of the pans. Bake another 8-9 minutes, or until softened and browned. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
PIN THIS RECIPE!
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.