This one-skillet Gingery Chicken with Shiitakes and Cabbage comes together in under 30 minutes, and is perfect for celebrating the Lunar New Year. I wouldn’t ever call shredded cabbage “noodles” because that is insane, but the finished dish does have the feel of a noodle dish.
Gingery Chicken with Shiitakes and Cabbage
The flavors in this stir-fry remind me a lot of moo shu, which I love. You could definitely mix up the proteins and veggies in this; use ground pork, julienned broccoli stalks you would have otherwise tossed, and of course any cabbage will work.
A couple of ways to repurpose leftovers of this gingery chicken with shiitakes and cabbage:
- Add some broth to make it a hearty soup.
- Toss it into some cooked rice or cauliflower rice along with a scrambled egg to make fried rice.
- Turn it into Egg Foo Yung- somewhat of a cross between a pancake and a frittata.
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons+ 2 tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, divided
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 large carrots, sliced with a julienne peeler (or a vegetable peeler)
- 1 large head Napa cabbage, about 2 pounds, shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Make sure to prep all of your ingredients before you start. As with any stir-fry, it happens fast!
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the tapioca starch, red pepper flakes, ginger, white pepper, 2 teaspoons of the coconut aminos, 2 teaspoons of the sherry, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Add the chicken and spread it out so it's in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed for about 2-3 minutes to allow it to sear. Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until it's just cooked through. Dump into a large bowl. Rinse out the skillet and return to the heat.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and add the shiitakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until wilted and browned. Add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Heat one more tablespoon of oil and add the cabbage and carrots. Cook until just wilted.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back to the skillet, along with 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos, 2 tablespoons of sherry, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Stir to combine and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and the liquid cooks off a bit. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
Make sure to prep all of your ingredients before you start. As with any stir-fry, it happens fast!
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.